Rediff Logo World Cup 99
HOME | WORLD CUP 99 | FORUM
April 22, 1999

Lavakare and other subjects

Sachin versus Bradman:
Manish: : He is an overrated palyer based on his sub continent wicket performence and 1998 run avrages. it's all media hype.. In Sunil gavaskar days there was no media exposure. Who will forget his epic innings on foreign pitches. Tendulkar has 19 of his one day centuries on flat sub continent pitces where it is easy to score runs and ball hardly swings. I would call him baset in the world if he does the scores same magic centuires of 1998 on the foreign pitches.

Sachin versus Bradman:
sandeep: sunish98@yahoo.com: You are an idiot. You have no sense of cricket. You are not an Indian

Sachin versus Bradman:
Rajeev Sivaram: rsivaram@hotmail.com: Phew, what an article. I hope Tendulkar isn't sleeping with the author's mate. For Tendulkar is criticized with more passion than sense. Like the axe wielding religious fanatics who can supply any number of reasons to justify their stand (none of which are convincing alas) our author here has armed himself with statistics, one eye, and too many words. First, the point of Tendulkar vs. anyone does not lie in averages. Among contemporaries, there are very batsmen who have dictated the result of a game so single-handedly for their country as he has. Giving counter-examples to show the country has won without him is to enlist the cold days in a Hyderabad year and to advance the claim that Hyderabad isn't a hot place. His (Tendulkar's) comparison with his contemporaries does not lie in averages alone. It lies in the number of runs, the situations under which they were scored, and the manner in which they were scored. Sure, Lara is a great batsman. He is a better test batsman than Tendulkar perhaps, but Tendulkar has achieved enough in one-day cricket to be the superior of the two no matter what the average is (the difference is only 2 runs!) For a comparison with Gavaskar, you choose logevity over averages and say Gavaskar batted so well for so long and that Tendulkar has a long way to go. But when comparing with Lara, you disregard the fact that Tendulkar has his average over so many more one-day games and over so many more runs despite playing cricket for less time in terms of number of years. If that is not a statement to the escruciating levels of commitment and stamina required and demonstrated by this current- day Indian cricketer I don't know what is. Comparisons with Bradman are always a headache. They border on religious debates with much noise, endless hypothesis, and very little progress. Yet, I see nothing in what the author presents that would seem to serve Bradman any better in the debate whether he or Tendulkar is the greater batsman. Sure 99.96 has to be proferred first, like the startling dimensions of some exquisitely shaped damsel. The author takes shots at someone who claimed that Bradman benefitted from having close in fielders by presenting us with the economic figures of Harold Larwwod. This is as if to debunk the close-in fielder theory just because Larwood's economy rate was low. This shows serious shortcomings in deductive skills. The above argument would be true only if the claim was being made that Bradman scored a considerable fraction of his runs against Larwood (for, Larwood was a brilliant bowler, and close-in fielders may not have caused runs scored against him, but its the weak bowlers that close-in fielders are a disservice to). Furthermore, a low economy rate does not preclude the fact that the few runs that came came because the fielders were so close in (for eg., a batsman scores 100 runs in 40 overs. There is nothing that says that 60 of those runs could not have come because of shots that he could play because of the fielders being so close in!). Anyway, I realised at the outset that pointing out holes in this article would be an exercise in pointing out the craters in the moon. Without spending time pointing out the others, I hope that it sufficiently clear that the author presents us with theories that are as even as Himalayas. Sincerely, --Rajeev

Sachin versus Bradman:
Jaydeep Khedkar: jkhedk1@tiger.lsu.edu: First of all HAPPY BIRTHDAY SACHIN I do not understand whom the writer wishes to target, is it sachin or MTV. All the above players are all time greats in their own areas. It is not appropriate to compare their abilities on the basis of statistics. But Sachin has given India a ray of hope in international cricket. Above everything, his presence makes the difference int he entire team and provides a kind of morale boost for the players. I wish Sachin should continue playing his natural game. I think thats what all cricket lovers want. Good Luck to you sachin and India for the world cup 99.

Sachin versus Bradman:
Manish: : My best wishes to sachin so that he proves to world that he is the best one day batsman in the world not only on sub continent pitches but also in rest of the world.

Sachin versus Bradman:
Taranath: starakv@hotmail.com: I don't know why this type of article should be on rediff during his B'day. do you think writing like this is going increase Tendulkar's confidence. I disagree with this articale.

Sachin versus Bradman:
Rekha: the_virgos@hotmail.com: I don't want to challenge the record books opened here by somone. Some people still tend to live in the earlier half of this century! They should first understand how the game is played today. What sense does it make to score a century in a test batting for 3 full days? Many of the people you have mentioned here, made all the records but did they ever ensure that their team won the match. I do not know about Bradman. But the rest of the people just made records!! To me a player is great his game can help the team win. There is no big deal in making records if only you benefit from it. If you say that Tendulkar is found wanting in tests the same applies to Gavaskar in one day cricket. One day cricket is fast paced game. Gavaskar never lived up to the pace of one-day cricket.

Sachin versus Bradman:
G.Kandasamy: oltsp@aol.com: Happy Birthday Sachin, Your article on Sachin Tedulkar is so undermining Sachin's calibre as a batsman. All your statistics doesn't entrtain a Cricket lover, but Sachin's game does. He never allowed any bowler to dominate him. He showed his elegance in all kinds of pitches. Gavaskar used the cricket for his fame. Because of sachin , One day or test match attracting the crowd. 'Staying Power' is meaningless, which drives anybody to loose interest inthe game. Sychopants like Arvind may try to undermine sachin's calibre, but he is prooving himself beyond Brodman.

Sachin versus Bradman:
G.Kandasamy: oltsp@aol.com: Happy Birthday Sachin, Your article on Sachin Tedulkar is so undermining Sachin's calibre as a batsman. All your statistics doesn't entrtain a Cricket lover, but Sachin's game does. He never allowed any bowler to dominate him. He showed his elegance in all kinds of pitches. Gavaskar used the cricket for his fame. Because of sachin , One day or test match attracting the crowd. 'Staying Power' is meaningless, which drives anybody to loose interest inthe game. Sychopants like Arvind may try to undermine sachin's calibre, but he is prooving himself beyond Brodman.

Sachin versus Bradman:
Jith Shamarao: jith_b1@verifone.com: Hearty Congratulations and Best Wishes from a fellow Taurean !! Just put ur head down and give ur very BEST in every Match... AS U DO ALWAYS!! Our Prayers are with the TEAM !! ALL THE BEST on both personal and work fronts... - Jith.

Sachin versus Bradman:
: :

Sachin versus Bradman:
Prashant: : The difference between Sachin and others he is a genuine crowd entertainer. He goes for shots and extremely unpredictable about when he will explode into flurry of shots and crowd just goes mad. He also takes bull by horn and has tremendous aggressiveness if someone gets him out couple of times in succession. He goes after the bowler. it is this which makes him most likable player in the history of India cricket. He has raw stroke power and delicate strokes as well. His goal is to entertain crowd. I beleive this is what people in India love about him, not his averages or scores. he is a master entertainer and that makes him soooo different. My best wishes to him for setting a new world record in this WC. Althouh he is overrated by media he is still demi god of masses for his sheer exclusive cricket entertaniment. I do consider him overrated but I still like him for his sheer entertaining qualities..

Sachin versus Bradman:
Deeapk: raven@hk.super.net: Arivind you may be right but what a stupid time to write this stupid article. We defiantly don't need your stupid comments on this great man. Any way I Wish Sachin a very Happy Birthday. and a very sussesful year ahead to keep Arvind mouth shut.

Sachin versus Bradman:
PP: maharajkumar@yahoo.com: The most absurd article in this web page till date. Bradman could not score 4 runs in his last innings in Tests. He was out for zero.That could have made his test average 100 runs per innings. He had problems with Larwood. He was known to be a snob. He would travel first class in trains and his team mates in lower class. So what if Sachin can't figure upto Bradman ? He can tear any attack apart at his will just as Bradman. Cricket was a gentleman's game in Bradman's time. There was no sledging, and the Dennis Lillee / Ian Chappell kind of crap of psyching the batsman out than actually getting him out.

Sachin versus Bradman:

Sachin versus Bradman:
Prasad Narayan: the_virgos@hotmail.com: Comparisons are never fair especially involving individuals of different eras. Sir Don Bradman's record is never ever going to be broken. One might shudder to think, how many more centuries Sir Don would have scored had it not been for the two World Wars. Sunil Gavaskar was a solid technician and definitely among the top three batsmen of the 70's, others being Boycott & Chappell. Sachin Tendulkar's heroics in '98 made him a household name in the world. Steve Waugh labeled Sachin as the best batsman after Sir Don Bradman. An out of the world praise for SRT, nevertheless can anyone truly justify this ? Cricket has changed so much from the days of Don to Sunil to Sachin. In the '80s, a common topic of discussion used to be the No. 1 allrounder among Hadlee, Botham, Kapil & Imran which was fair by all means. Today, people might say, Hadlee because none of his contemporaries were knighted which to a certain extent is justifiable. What if Kapil had played more matches in England/Australia in his hey days ? In the two competitions held in England in the mid-80s for the No.1 allrounder, it was not Hadlee but Mike Proctor of South Africa and Kapil who stood first and second respectively. Similarly, Sachin should only be compared to his contemporaries like Brian Lara, Mark Waugh and other world class batsman. How could Arvind Lavakare compare Sunil & Sachin in the shorter version of the game ? Even my grandpa would have scored more than 36 runs playing 60 overs against England in the inaugural World Cup of 1975. If not, he would have at least cared to throw away his wicket and instead allowed others to have a go at the bowling. Gavaskar undoubtedly has many PHDs in cricket, but he hasn't done any crash course. For God sake Arvind, Pl. refrain from talking about Sunny's performance in One Dayers. Sunil Gavaskar and ODI just cannot go together. Sincerely, Prasad Narayan, California

Sachin versus Bradman:
armaan: armaan4@hotmail.com: Excellent piece Arvind! First of all I wish Sachin a very happy birthday and i am a big fan of Sachin. I think in recent times Lara showed more staying power than anybody.You should have brought in Lara too in your topic. Ofcourse your aim is to open our eyes Finally how many of us watch cricket backed by an indepth knowledge in it.I think there aren't many.

Sachin versus Bradman:
Abhay: abhs@hotmail.com: Hey sachin, better take a fast sticking glue to the crease and stay there because Azza is not going to do anything worthwhile.

Sachin versus Bradman:
Dravid: dravid@hotmail: My points to support Tendulkar as No 1 in the World 1. Tendulkar never opens in Tests. In comparison Gavaskar is a opener and has all the time in the world to build his innings. Tendulkar has mould his innings depending on the situation. While given the chance to open in the ODIs Tendulkar has thrived and has already broken Desmond Haynes record of 19 hundreds. He is now in the running for Most runs in ODIs at age 26. That is incredible! In comparison Gavaskar has just one hundred as a opener which is a disgrace compared to his Test performance. One has to only see the innings Gavaskar played in then 1975 WC to know what kind of ODI bat he is. 2. During Gavaskar's era India played fewer ODIs and more Tests which gave Gavaskar more oppounities to excel as a Test batsman. If India played more Tests, Tendulkar would have score a bigger double hundred than Gavaskar. If Gavaskar had o play so many ODIs in his career would he have acheived as much? 3. Tendulkar is just half way through, but he already has the highest aggregate of Test and ODI hundreds. 4. Gavakar has let India down a couple of times too, in a different way rather. He refused to play in Calcutta and somewhere else!

Sachin versus Bradman:
Jay: jsriniva@bayou.uh.edu: Hello Prem. The article is not well written. This is not the kind of writing that is going to inspire the current greatest player in the world, especially not at the moment when the team is down in morale and confidence. Let's wish the team and Tendulkar success and instill confidence rather than discourage them. Thanks, Jay.

Sachin versus Bradman:
: : That's really some effort in putting together all those statistics! But, is cricket all about statistics? (Not quite.) 'Coz when the average ('MTV generation') Indian cricket fan watches Tendulkar play, he/she doesn't know that he has been dismissed by the same bowler exactly 3 out of 4 matches on the 4th ball of the 3rd over bowled by the same bowler! That's one up for Tendulkar....!! ;-) To tell you the truth,... I have never seen Bradman play in my entire 22 years of existence. For that matter,...I don't think any of today's MTV generation Indian cricket fans have seen Bradman play! From whatever I have heard of the great man,...i do really think he must have been a great cricketeer. But, can we please stop playing the 'statistics game'...for a little while...maybe for the next three months. Until the world cup gets over. I'm sure the Indian cricket team could do without some media pressure...Sachin, for one, would benefit substantially! :-) And if at all we still want to dwell on the statistics game, let's also talk about some new comparision parameters... With all due respects to Sir Donald Bradman...let's talk about the number of people who were watching Bradman play when he hit the fastest double century in Test cricket. Let's talk about the number of journalists who wrote about him and talked about his average that seemed to be lesser than the previous 'great' in batting...(whoever that might be)... Let's talk about the amount of media coverage that Bradman got when he scored a duck. Let's talk about the number of people who prayed for him each time he went out to the pitch to play for his country. Let's talk about the number of 'selectors' who were watching every stroke of his in every single match that he played. So...is that ten up for Sachin...???!! :-) Moral of the story : leave Sachin Tendulkar alone (atleast on his birthday)...and leave the great Sir Donald Bradman alone...let their respective geniuses just be... regards, a concerned MTV generation Indian cricket fan(atic) who loves Sachin. PS: Any idea in how many matches have Lara, Gary Kirsten, Gavaksar or Sir Bradman bowled...to turn tables on the opposition and win the match for their respective countries...????!!!

Sachin versus Bradman:
ramesh menon: menon_ramesh_g: happy birthday to you. Hope you have a successful run in the world cup and may india win.

Sachin versus Bradman:
sandeep bhasin: bhasins@hotmail.com: While you are right, this article doesn't exactly come at a great time given that Tendulkar is our only hope for winning the world cup.

Sachin versus Bradman:
cherukuri venkata suresh: lusuresh@hotmail.com: a stupid column, boy believe in your self bro,

Sachin versus Bradman:
: : poor column not alogical look

Sachin versus Bradman:
Shielesh Damle: sdamle@pacific.net.sg: First Sachin is the great batsman in today's cricket. The statistics conclusion by Arvind Lavakare is unfair conclusion. Timing of this article is wrong.

Sachin versus Bradman:
Narasimhan: ntirumalai: First & Foremost, there is no point in comparing people of different eras. But if u do want to compare then i think the comparision of statistics should be clear. It is pointless to compare the oneday average of tendulkar taking into account his first 70 matches because he used to come at no. 4 at that time. He has got an average of over 50 as an opener. The main factor against tendulkar is the overdependency of the team on him. I think no other team in the world is or has been so dependent on one man in the history of cricket. Gavaskar & Bradman were great, no doubt about it. And among the current lot Lara is tremendous. But comparing Sachin with people like Kirsten or Saeed Anwar is not only an insult to tendulkar but even they themselves might find it funny. Ur grasp on statistics is good but it is advisable to use it well. It would be advisable if u use ur literary skills in encouraging the team than waste ur time in proving that sachin is not great. At a time when the morale of the team is not so high & when sachin himself is making a comeback after a layoff it is not right on your part to try & prove something that is ridiculous. I got only one thing to say to sachin - may god give u enough strength to keep performing like this for india.

Sachin versus Bradman:
Vijaykumar Panchagatti: vijaykumar.Panchagatti@db.com: Many Many happy returns of the day to God's gift to Indian cricket. Sachin get us back the world cup.

Sachin versus Bradman:
Venkat: vsubrama@us.oracle.com: Tendulkar is not selfish, does not play politics and is way, way, way more entertaining than Gavaskar ever was. Cricket is a after all a spectator sport. Any day, anywhere in the world people would rather watch Tendulkar bat than watch Gavaskar. Also, cut the patronising tone. You may not like Tendulkar, but you can some class in expressing your views!

Sachin versus Bradman:
Balaji: wipro@opd.yanagi.toshiba.co.jp: Arvind Lavakare has gone on a senseless tirade against Tendulkar. He has given 4 instances when India won without substantial contributions from Tendulkar, but what about the 30-odd times when he HAS performed ? Anyway, nobody said he is greater than Bradman or Gavaskar, comparing across time is impossible. What further evidences the bias is that Lavakare has illustrated all postitive points in Gavaskar and Bradman, no negative ones, whereas with Tendulkar he has done the exact opposite. He seems to have written only for sensationalism and mails of this kind. Lavakare better stick to his usual political stuff and stay away from sports commentary !

Sachin versus Bradman:

Sachin versus Bradman:
rediff fan: rediff_fan@hotmail.com: Hello, good article for the reason that you speak with the help of stats. Now, the numbers cannot lie! but few things, you have got wrong.. 1)Greatest factor that leaves everyone with awe about Tendulkar is his age. You are comparing Sachin Tendulkar's stats. overlooking the fact that he started his career at the age of 15-16. so comparison of innings with someone who started playing at matured age(relative) doesn't tell the truth. Now, you cannot compare end of career stats with someone who is middle of the career and many expect, for him the peak is still few yrs away. Perhaps, you can try to produce some stats. based on age..may be that would tell different story! 2) No one is arguing that Sachin Tendulkar is already Don Bradman. Everyone compares with Bradman for simple implicit reasoning that if this man has achieved somuch at such young age then what he would be like when he retires.. well if not Bradman, then atleast next to Bradman as Waugh put it! 3) you could mention three innings in whole 1997 of how many, 35-40 that india must have played in that yr really presents altogether different statistics.. isn't it? When someone compares Sachin with Bradman, they say it for the simple fact that this man has got the potential, talent to be next bradman from what we have seen sofar but would numbers reflect the same remains to be seen, Perhaps , the best reply to this article can be given only around 2010 AD.

Sachin versus Bradman:
prasad.k.g: prasad_paes: Dear aravind, I am sure that u would have got many mails from angry die hard sachin's fans by now.but i would like to appreciate ur attempt to bring truth to light.Had i not read ur article ,i would have been blindfolded by the millions of sachin's fans around me.I would like to state a small point here,which perhaps might have escaped your hawkish eyes. Those great men whom u had mentioned played cricket in a relatively less hectic schedule, unlike today, where it is hectic,when cricketers hardly have any time to sit back and take stock of the situation and correct their shortcomings if any. apart from that, this kind of tight schedule(especially for the indian cricket team) zaps them of.given the above constraints,add to it the pressure to perform every time he goes to the cricket ground in all departments of the game,sachin's performance is definetely much better than any of those legends whom u have memtioned. So please do not hurt the sentiments of any body by belittling somebody's achievement without making a thorough analysis of all the factors(objective &subjective) K.G.P

Sachin versus Bradman:
: nitin_kulkarni@hp.com:

Sachin versus Bradman:
munna usa wala: munna_s@hotmail.com: Wow... What an interesting article on Rediff. Yes, you burst the bubble which media created by their writings. Well this should clearly tells how media by their misleading writing sometimes creats so much out of ordinary things. No doubt Sachin is wonderful crickter but by this hype I wonder how long he will sustain this. This should awaken Sachin too, that to reach the greatness he has to go long long way. Mr. Arvind beaware some one may hurt you after reading this article. I hope you know nowdays its Azhar, who gets blame for every wrong things Indian Cricketers do. If India wins its because of Sachin and if India lose its because of Azhar, thats wrong concept. Get over it people. Every great player is treated like unwanted in their team be it Gavaskar, Kapil, Miandad, Zaheer, Gower, Gatting... thats what they are doing to Azhar.

Sachin versus Bradman:
Dharma: hemadharma@hotmail.com: First of all Wishing sachin a very happy Birthday and Best of Luck for the World Cup. Then to Arvind lavakare's thoughts it is wonderful asseessment.Also the fact that sachin has not really played and scred runs against the type of quality bowlers which sunil gavaskar faced like marshall,garner,holding,roberts etc that too scoring heavily against west indies in west indies is unmached and class of high order.Sachin is india's batting hope at present and i hope the readers who read this column atleast now do not burden him with too much expectations.Also though he scoed heavily in 1998 there was not a single blistering knock away from he sub continent or against a letha pace bowling.The fact that sachin was not a big sucess in west indies and south africa when we last toured hsould be remembered.Like all fans i hope he does some thing extra ordinary in the WC as that will be the key to our chances.Lets not fill more hype to pressurise him and let him do the job in his own ways.

Sachin versus Bradman:
C.R.Krishnamurthi: krishnac@giasdl01.vsnl.net.in: Message to Sachin. Protect your wicket, cut out impulsive shots and do not sky any repeat any ball however tempting it may be. Above all do not be overawed by Shoaib or Allan or any other fast bowler. Against them move at least one yard beyond the crease and force them to bowl differently. Good Luck.

Keeping a watch on Azhar:
s.v.singh: svtony@yahoo.com: Azhar, have the grace &decency to step down ,as yr failuire as a captain has effected yr batting vary badly(i.e.,like Sachin). believe u in me u willdo wonders as U R AN INCREDIBLE BATSMAN &A FIELDER> I admire u very much followed yr batting even when abroad from 85 to 97. best wishes & warm regards. tony

Sachin versus Bradman:
Navdeep Sood: nns@rocketmail.com: Sachin have a great one and make sure that India brings the World Cup home this time!

Sachin versus Bradman:
will power: rediff@rediff.com: will power! happy birthday Sachin!

Sachin versus Bradman:
rajiv shah: rshah22263@aol.com: Mr. Lavakare i read your report, Thank u for being Anti sachin I don't know how much gavaskar has paid you for this but let me tell you one thing Sachin is big positive influance on indian team and for the bating partner. when he is on the crease in odi all the bowlers are afraid of him unlike gavaskar, onece he gets in to40's he will forget about country and will play for his 50 run unless their is a mony to fix the game. so please at least don't compare sachin with gavaskar .

Sachin versus Bradman:
MOHITH THOMAS: mohitht@prodigy.net: Sach, you always looked at the ball and if you see the ball you can hit it, so look at the ball. And the bat is your b'day gift.

Sachin versus Bradman:
Charu Kulkarni: cpkulkarni@netscape.net: Best Wishes!! Dont worry about comparisons with the worlds greatest. You will excell and prove the critics wrong in this world cup. Cheers Mate,

Sachin versus Bradman:
Mani : maniky@corp.sun.com: Hi Arvind, You wrote a excellent article. keep up the good work! Regards Mani

Sachin versus Bradman:
VTV Srinivas: tviswana@prodigy.net: Arvind, Fantastic Article! My Hat's off to you. Sachin, is still a BradBOY, I think we'll see more of him as he matures. Thx, VTV

Sachin versus Bradman:
RANGARAJAN M P: mangudiranga@yahoo.com: DEAR SACHIN, I WISH YOU ON THIS BIRTHDAY THAT YOU WILL RETURN HOME WITH THE PRIDE OF WINNING THE "WORLD CUP FOR INDIA"

Sachin versus Bradman:
utchal : utchal@hotmail.com: dear scahin, wishing you avery happy b'day. i'm sure you paly a very important part in india's campain at the world cup in may. wishing you and all the indian team all the evry best.

Sachin versus Bradman:
sanjay: sanjayn@rocektmail.com: i hope tendulkar gets to read this article and takes it in the right spirit and brings home the world cupt thanx sanjay

Sachin versus Bradman:
Sachin Sangole: sachu1@hotmail.com: Best wishes for your career. walsh is nearing kapils record... try and pusy alan borders back as soon as possible.. atlease one indian should be at the top in the statistics best luk for the WC 99 =Sachin S=

Sachin versus Bradman:
MANIKANDAN: amaithy@hotmail.com: Wish you many more happy returns of the day.

Sachin versus Bradman:
ganesh kateel: ganesh_kateel@hotmail.com: Wish you a very happy birthday.

Sachin versus Bradman:
Ashwin: : There were some people like Godse who were anti-Gandhi, Lakhare is a similar case. Tendulkar has been acknowledged as a genius by Bradman himself. Any body who watches him play should know the difference between a Tendulkar and a Waugh and a Anwar or Azhar or Gavaskar

Sachin versus Bradman:
GANESH SUNDARAM: ganesh12@hotmail.com: Dear Sachin, Wish u a very Happy Birthday. Hope u have a great day and a World Cup Winning Performance along with the Man of the Series Trophy. And don't let anyone bowl u behind ur back!!! (Pun intended) Good Luck!!! Regards Ganesh

Sachin versus Bradman:
Sandeep Saini: sands@rediffmail.com: Mr. Arvind Lavakare is a classic case of selective perception.

Sachin versus Bradman:
Harsh Gupta: hgupta_01@hotmail.com: According to me, Sachin is far better player than Gavaskar, because Gavaskar has not won more matches on his own than the one and only Sachin Tendulkar and also Gavaskar does n't have all the cricketing shots like Hook & Pull, Lofted shots, which Sachin has.

Sachin versus Bradman:
Koustubh Warty: koustubh_no1@hotmail.com: Mr. Arvind seems to be quite dissatisfied by the way Sachin has gone around playing for India. It seems that he is from the Gavaskar era. I would like to ask him as to just like Gavaskar had saved many patient and match saving knocks in tests how many of those knocks did he play in one dayers ? Does he know how many one day hundreds Gavaskar has ?? Also he speaks about pitches..I would also like to say that Don Bradman was born in as well as played for Australia. So is it Sachin's mistake that he was born in India to play on slow track pitches ? And lastly I would like to make a point that almost all of Sachin's one day hundreds corrspond to an Indian victory on that day. I am very surprised at such biased opinions of Arvind Lavakare.

Sachin versus Bradman:
rajesh: rajesh@hotmail.com: Mr Arvind you are a Bastard,Mother fucker,sister Fucker Never write a column again

Sachin versus Bradman:
Harsh Gupta: hgupta_01@hotmail.com: I agree that Sir Don Bradman and Sachin Tendulkar are no match but according to me, Sachin is far better player than Gavaskar, because Gavaskar has not won more matches on his own than the one and only Sachin Tendulkar and also Gavaskar does n't have all the cricketing shots like Hook & Pull, Lofted shots, which Sachin has.

Sachin versus Bradman:
Girish Venkat: girish@coreobjects.com: I did not like the article very much because of its tone. But, one thing is true. Sachin has never won a big match for India (you can count). Definetely, he is no Lara, Miandad, Border or our own Vishy. He is now doubt a classy player, but you know Indian media, how they create the hype.

The Sanjay Manjrekar column:
Suresh Anand: a: I believe the following inspiring poem should be sent to the Captain, manager and each and every member of the indian team for the World Cup. Will you do it please Mr. Manjrekar? Thanks The Man who Thinks He Can by Waler D. Wintle If you think you are beaten, you are If you think you dare not, you don't If you would like to win but you think you can't It's almost certain you won't. If you think you'll lose, you've lost For out in the world we find Success begins with a fellow's will It's all in the state of mind. If you think you're outclassed, you are You've got to think high to rise You've got to be sure of yourself Before you can ever win a prize. Life's battles don't always go To the stronger or faster man, But sooner or later, the man who wins Is the man who thinks he can.

The Sanjay Manjrekar column:
Suresh Anand: a: I believe the following inspiring poem should be sent to the Captain, manager and each and every member of the indian team for the World Cup. Will you do it please Mr. Manjrekar? Thanks The Man who Thinks He Can by Waler D. Wintle If you think you are beaten, you are If you think you dare not, you don't If you would like to win but you think you can't It's almost certain you won't. If you think you'll lose, you've lost For out in the world we find Success begins with a fellow's will It's all in the state of mind. If you think you're outclassed, you are You've got to think high to rise You've got to be sure of yourself Before you can ever win a prize. Life's battles don't always go To the stronger or faster man, But sooner or later, the man who wins Is the man who thinks he can.

Sachin versus Bradman:

Sachin versus Bradman:
chandresh jhutani: chandresh88@hotmail.com: happy birthday sachin and whoever wrote this article is not in his senses and he is a very bad analyzer of the game chandresh

Sachin versus Bradman:
Velu: veluk@hotmail.com: it's pretty easy to talk from outside. not just averages show one's class. it's unfair to compare these people as they all have different playing styles.. the author doesn't even know these basic things. this is the most stupid of all columns i've ever read. it's unfortunate that some people, in the name of journalism, write whatever they wish to write. it's also very regrettable that we see lot of negative journalism nowadays... these people think that they are Gods and they seem to think that you are a good journalist only if you criticise.. what a foolish idea.. and so some people criticise everything... I mean everything.. this is the best junk you could offer your readers..

more

HOME | NEWS | BUSINESS | SPORTS | MOVIES | CHAT | INFOTECH | TRAVEL
SHOPPING HOME | BOOK SHOP | MUSIC SHOP | HOTEL RESERVATIONS
EDUCATION | PERSONAL HOMEPAGES | FREE EMAIL | FEEDBACK